Today I went to North Goshen Mennonite Church, where my aunt and uncle go, and I really liked it. Actually, I went there last week and plan on going back next week too. But the craziest part...the sermon was good, but Sunday School was even better. I did kind of feel obligated to go because my aunt and uncle teach the college age class, but they're doing a study of book called "11." It's about the 11 people you need in your life. Every person is different, and in fact, if you were to get all these people together in one room, they probably wouldn't all like each other.
Today's person was Nathan. He was the prophet who pointed out to David that it was he who was sinning with Bathsheba. Nathan was the one to point the finger. We need someone in our lives who will be brutally honest; someone who knows us just as well, if not better, than we know ourselves.
I was trying to think of who that would be in my life. And I can think of a few people. My mom probably knows me well enough, but she doesn't always tell me what she thinks like she should. So I would have to say that I have 4 Nathans, and all 4 are in a different state or country than me: Audra, Bethany, Kelsey, and Josh. They knew when to tell me I'm wrong, when I should shut up. And I love them for it. I don't know what I'd do without them. It's hard since they're all so far away, but I know they'll still be honest with me, even if they're on the other side of the world.
This also got me thinking about how I am Nathans to people. And I believe that at one point in my life, I was too much of a Nathan and it ruined a frienship. It happens. Maybe it was my fault, and maybe it wasn't. Maybe it was because I was too honest. And maybe it was because that person couldn't handle me being a Nathan to her. Whatever the reason, that relationship ended up the way it did for a reason...in fact, it led me to one of my Nathans! And it's ok.
So...who's your Nathan??
until next time, kara
1 comment:
That's so funny. I am glad that I am one of your Nathan's but also hope that I am not a friend who is mean;)
Post a Comment